RE: Shear Wall Lengths

Bill-
Check out Section 2315.5.3 for the 4'-0" requirement which applies "except
at boundaries and changes in framing where minimum sheet dimension shall be
24 inches unless all edges of the undersized sheets are supported by framing
members or blocking."  Note that your inspector is wrong in that the 11"
sheet is undersized even if blocked. However, your recommendations do meet
the code.

Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Oakland CA