Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: OMRF joint w/ different filler metal

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
NR-311 is a common Lincoln Electric FCAW-S electrode (E70T-7 classification). There is no specified toughness to this electrode. However, if you are talking about Lincoln's NR-311Ni, that's an FCAW-S electrode that provides CVN toughness, classified as E70TG-K2. Placing passes in the order stated (SMAW, then FCAW) should not be a problem. There can be toughness problems going the other way (SMAW over FCAW). Check with your contractor to make sure he's looking at NR-311Ni.
Bob Shaw
-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Chu [mailto:julian(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2000 2:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: OMRF joint w/ different filler metal

We have a OMRF joint connection which fabricator wants to use 7018 electrode for the root pass and 311 for the filler passes for the beam flanges to column flange connection in the field. Beam and columns are all W14x38, A572 grade 50(specified before the new A992 came out).
What is the 311 filler metal? Is this a common practice? Will this type of practice cause any problem?
The structure is located in Zone 4 area.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Julian Chu
Newport Beach, CA