Re: AISC LRFD- composite beams

Be careful that you are comparing apples and apples.  The values that you quoted
for A36 steel are for full composite action.  That is a lot of weld studs.
Economical designs usually are based on partial composite action to reduce the
amount of weld studs.  The 30% number is a reasonable approximation of values
that have a wide variation,  some examples will be higher and some will be
lower, but the savings are real, if the deflection limit state doesn't govern.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

marfra(--nospam--at)opus.co.tt on 01/18/2000 06:16:24 PM