RE: Philosophy: Seismic Design Standards

Bill Sherman wrote:

>>Code formulas and coefficients should correspond to identifiable quantities.
This is one area that I think improvements have been made in the seismic
codes over the years, e.g. I couldn't relate to "K" in the formula ZIKSW,
but I can relate "R" to ductility in the formula ZICW/R; and I can relate to
Aa=0.40 better than "Zone 4".  Also, commentaries and design examples help
greatly when trying to interpret the real purpose of code language.<<

Most AMAZING!

R is simply 1/K!  And was developed that way so that the results of the
formula wouldn't change.

"A rose is a rose ..."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona