Column Splice

Looking for suggestions.....

	We are working on a renovation and will be splicing existing columns at
the roof level of an existing building and extending them up.  Due to a
greatly extended unbraced length (existing about 18' - new will be 30'+)
we will plate the existing section and set a new column on top.  Now
here's the fun part, how do you connect the two columns together?  Use a
standard splice (a butt plate and full pen all around) or something
else.  Shouldn't I be able to design this as a standard splice? Maybe
upside down? My guess is that I need a fully fixed connection.
	Also because the new column on top will likely be bigger (W12 instead
of existing W8's and W10's) most standard lap splice connections won't
work.  We might even use T.S. if an argument can be made for them.  We
are still pretty early in the design and can change column types.  Any
thoughts?

Thanks for your time,
Jake Watson E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT