Re: Re: Diaphragm Design Per 1633.2.9 Using ASD

Now you are confusing me!  If I use allowable stress design for wood
construction, this means I can not use a Cd factor of 1.33?  What about
tables 23-II-H and 23-II-I-1?  These tables are already set up for increased
load based on seismic or wind stresses.  Does this mean we have to reduce
these values 25% for seismic design?  How about Simpson hold down anchors?
Do we use the loads in the tables which have already been increased by 33%?

Does this mean steel moment frames designed using ASD can not use a 1/3
increase in allowable stress for WIND or SEISMIC loading?

Rich

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org writes:
Ed,
After reading and re-reading your email I think I am as confused as you.
With that said, the reduction E/1.4 for ASD goes back to section 1612.3.1
Basic Load Combinations:
"Where allowable stress design (working stress design) is used, structures
and all portions thereof shall resist the most critical effects resulting
from the following combinations of loads:
D + L + (Lr or S)				(12-8)
D+(W or E/1.4)				(12-9)
0.9D+/-E/1.4				(12-10)
D+0.75[L+(Lr or S)+(W or E/1.4)]	(12-11)
No increase in allowable stresses shall be used with these load
combinations except as specifically permitted by Section 1809.2."