RE: Philosophy: Seismic Design Standards

Yes, the commentary to the SEAOC Blue Book and ATC-19, "Structural Response
Modification Factors," both describe the method in which the response factor,
R, was developed, and both indicate that all it did was take the K
coefficients between the extremes, 1.33 buildings and 0.67 buildings, and
manipulate the formula, modifying some other factors, to come up with
approximately the same answers for 1.33 buildings, 1.0 buildings, 0.80
buildings, and 0.67 buildings.

Rationality?  Experience showed that using (ZIKCS)W, 0.67 buildings (ductile
steel and concrete) buildings performed well, 0.80 buildings (dual steel and
concrete) buildings had performed well, 1.33 buildings (shear wall
buildings, aka "box") had performed well, so the coefficients were about
right, so they shouldn't be changed.  And they weren't changed, just put in
another form, consistent with the form in ATC-03, to give the same answer.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Sherman wrote:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Actually, Rw is 8/K.  But the simple act of moving the coefficient to the
denominator improves the formula by identifying the coefficient more
directly with a structural property.

Following is a conversion from the "old UBC" formula to the "new" formula,
that I developed a number of years ago; the "new" formula has changed some
since.

V=ZIKCSW can be converted to the new formula by replacing the coefficients
with the following:

        Z=2.5*Z  (e.g., 2.5*0.40=1.0 zone factor)
        C=C/20   (e.g., CSmax=2.75/20=0.14)
        K=8/R    (e.g., 8/6=1.33 for shear walls)

so: Z=ZIKCSW=(2.5*Z/)I(8/R)(C/20)SW=ZICSW/R.
(Based on the SEAOC Commentary.)