Welding Rebar

I understand that AWS allows welding A615 rebar with low hydrogen rods, and it seems to be an accepted procedure.  However, I have seen A706 rebar noted for use where weldability is important.  I can't see when weldability wouldn't be important when used in a welded application, unless it were a non-structural connection.  (In our area of rural construction, specifying A706 would probably be a first.)

Chief Industries shows tie-rod welding details for A615 Gr. 40 with E70XX low hydrogen rods.  Does it matter that it's grade 40?  I don't find a reference telling if A615 is a carbon, high-carbon, or low-allow steel.  I would think Gr. 60 would be sort of a higher carbon mild steel, but I have no idea how it's made stronger than Gr. 40.  What if it's welded on a 20 below zero day like we have in MN (well, rare this year), couldn't it get brittle?

Thanks for any information and/or advice.

Respectfully,

Ed Fasula EIT