From: Ed Fasula [mailto:tibbits2(--nospam--at)metro.lakes.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2000 4:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Welding Rebar

I understand that AWS allows welding A615 rebar with low hydrogen rods, and
it seems to be an accepted procedure.  However, I have seen A706 rebar noted
for use where weldability is important.  I can't see when weldability
wouldn't be important when used in a welded application, unless it were a
non-structural connection.  (In our area of rural construction, specifying
A706 would probably be a first.)

Chief Industries shows tie-rod welding details for A615 Gr. 40 with E70XX
low hydrogen rods.  Does it matter that it's grade 40?  I don't find a
reference telling if A615 is a carbon, high-carbon, or low-allow steel.  I
would think Gr. 60 would be sort of a higher carbon mild steel, but I have
no idea how it's made stronger than Gr. 40.  What if it's welded on a 20
below zero day like we have in MN (well, rare this year), couldn't it get
brittle?

Thanks for any information and/or advice.

Respectfully,

Ed Fasula EIT