Re: Welding Rebar

> What if it's welded on a 20 below zero day like we have in MN (well, rare
>this year), couldn't it get brittle?
Welding shouldn't be done below 32F anyway. As for low temperature
brittleness, it's a problem inherent in certain materials (high carbon
re-bar among them) that exists independent of whether or not it's welded,
although strictly speaking, poor welding can make things worse locally.

There's some local Minnesota history with welded re-bar. About 20 years
ago an added floor on one of the downtown Minneapolis parking ramps
collapsed when some re-bar welds broke. The floor was aded at the top
level to provide more parking space, and it dropped right straight to
ground. I lost the articles describing the failure but a contributing
cause was lack of ductility in the re-bar welds.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw