(E) Masonry with steel upgrade

I have an older building that has masonry
steel ratios of .0008, .0009 and a total of
.0017. I need .0007 min and a total of .002.

How can I get this total ratio up?

Can I allow the total number to be rounded
up to 0.002? The code suggests a significant
figure of one. I jokingly consider using the
CMD97 program that allows the ratio.

Shear capacities are from 1.5 times to 4 times
that needed. Recall that the seismic-force-
amplification-factor is 3.8. It would seem that
adding extra reinforcement is unreasonable
for capacity to demand ratio that is more than
3.8.

Without any good recommendations, I am
adding some steel pilasters that can carry the
tributary lateral loads out of the wall?s plane.
I will consider the pilaster as equivalent to a
vertical bar of steel, at that location, to
increase the effective steel ratio. The walls
already have masonry pilasters every 14 feet.

Less than minimum steel has been considered
as having an equivalent ductility of masonry
with no steel. How silly. I am request that the
Seismic-rulers-of-the-code to consider a
reduced minimum steel ratio that is
dependent on an application of an adjustable
seismic-force-amplification-factor.

David Merrick, SE
Merrickgroup(--nospam--at)compuserve.com