RE: sloped metal deck diaphragms

Regarding a gable roof, Charles Greenlaw wrote:

> ... the fact of the roof surfaces being pitched (rather than being
> essentially parallel to idealized horizontal loading) is not a major
> complication.  The whole matter should reveal its "mysteries" if
> subjected to some free-body diagram modeling, complete with chasing
> down of all the resulting boundary reactions with due attention to
> principles of statics and strength of materials.

I agree with the above for gable roofs but must once again ask a question
asked here before: how do you handle a diaphragm on a "hipped roof"?  The
resulting boundary reactions are much more difficult to obtain by
simple free body diagrams for such a multi-planar roof.  To date I have
not seen a "simple" answer to this problem.  (The not-so-simple answer
is to do a finite element analysis.)