Cutting holes in Existing Concrete Structures

When we do remodel and additions to existing concrete buildings we almost
always get at least one request to cut new openings in either the walls or
the floors.  In all but the simplest cases this requires some kind of
structural reinforcement.  Many of these situations are very unique and
rely heavily on engineering judgement.  As this is such a common practice,
are their any references, testing or design standards to provide guidance
in this area.  Specific examples are:
	- Cutting openings on walls of cast-in-place concrete buildings (often 40+
years old)
	- Cutting openings in walls of tilt-up concrete buildings
	- Cutting openings in one-way and two-way slab floors

Dave Morris P.E.
Corvallis, OR