RE: brick veneer support deflection

David,

Remember that the lintel is only going to support a small triangular load
providing the lintel is shored while the brick is being installed.  I use a
45 deg. triangle, but know that with brick it will probably be much less.
Once the brick gets about a foot or so higher than half the span distance, it
will arch (providing you have an adequate thrust block), regardless of
whether the lintel is shored or not.

BIA is Brick Institute of America.  I do the same thing that Harold Sprague
does in designing lintels in following the BIA recommendations.  The L/600
and 0.3" limits are to prevent the triangular cracking that would occur.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

David Handy wrote:

>>Also: This is very strict, especially the 0.3" in one case this would be
L/1100. Would it make sense to use shear studs on the perimeter beams to
increase stiffness??? I would likely use a lesser amount for lateral
support reasons anyway. I don't use shear studs too often; would the
increase in stiffness be considerable or marginal?
thanks again, David Handy