RE: Steel Moment Frame - Channel to TS Colum

>Based on this
>fact, the traditional method for structural analysis is not totally safe to
>design actual structures. Partially rigid analysis is a better solution, but
>is too new.
This is really a can of worms, but I've always seen more failures in
connections than with spans. Assuming the joint to be fully rigid makes
the connection loads conservative even though the span response may be a
bit less so. Over here in machinery-ville, that's as it should be.

Besides, who really knows how rigid an as-built connection actually is?

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw