Stacked Shearwall Clarification

I received a call from a friend on the list who seemed to be somewhat
confused by my response to the recent thread on stacked plywood shearwalls.
I don't want to be misunderstood so let me restate it this way:
The statics must work regardless of where the moments are summed. In other
words if you separate the walls (which is common when designing with
structural Libraries like Enercalcs) the first floor wall must be designed
with the additional tension and compression resulting from the wall above
AND the shear is cumulative from the roof down which means the shear at the
top of the first floor wall is the sum of shear from the roof and second
floor.
The option is to design the wall as two story with the roof shear at the
top, second floor shear at the second floor story height and sum moments
around the foundation. The only problem with this is that you will not know
the uplift or compression occurring at the hinge at the base of the wall at
the second floor unless you separate the walls and statically balance both
separately.

I hope that this clears up any misinterpretation that may have resulted in
my first post. I don't recall at the moment the original post other than it
was a question as to what is the customary procedure for accounting for
multi-story shearwalls.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
Structural Engineering Consultant