RE: Steel Moment Frame - Channel to TS Colum

> >Why more failures in connection? Because your connection design assumes a
> >perfect rigidity.
> Not at all. The tendency seems to be to design connections that can't
> handle discontinuity loading produced by the attachment. Guy assumes pin
> ended beams (worst case--for the beam, anyway), and figures the welded
> connection at the end to handle only the vertical reactions. Turns out
> that a moment develops at the ends (because the ends are attached to the
> rest of the structure) that the weld can't handle and the connection
> breaks.

You miss one important point. This thread discusses PR joints and FR/Perfect
rigid connections. Assumption of perfect rigid connection may be a hidden
cause to structural failure. That is the central point in my original post.
This thread does not summarize how many possibilities to cause a connection
failure.