RE: Quick Question: Library Stack Loads

I have recently completed a new library for Penn State University and a
very large addition for West Virginia University. Historically we have
successfully used 150 psf with no live load reduction for libraries, stacks
or no stacks. We do mostly education facilities and on many occasions have
had requests to relocate shelving on existing framed floors. There have
been instances where a field survey for renovation work showed the library
staff took it upon themselves to relocate or add shelving even adding high
density. This greatly exceeded the capacity of the floors. We always inform
the client of our intent to use 150 psf everywhere and they have yet to
disagree.