RE: Stainless Steel and epoxy coated rebar.

Marlou,

The SS tube depends on the type of stainless, and the size.  Reference:
Specialty Steel Industry of North America, 202-342-8630, "Specifications for
Stainless Steel".
Or call a local steel warehouse like Ryerson, Edgecomb, etc. if you want a
common stainless and a common size.  You can get Carpenter 20 (sulfuric acid
piping) steel if you want it and can afford it.

The epoxy bar issue came to a head with a report by Ken Clear,
"Effectiveness of Epoxy-Coated Reinforcing Steel", June 1991, sponsored by
CRSI.  Ken said that corrosion migrated under the epoxy coating, and caused
death and general mayhem.  CRSI had Wiss, Janney & Elstner review Ken's work
and take another stab at corrosion & epoxy bar.  CRSI issued a report "CRSI
Performance Research: Epoxy Coated Reinforcing Steel" in June 1992, which
said that the bar Clear tested did not meet ASTM holiday requirements.
There was a major battle in court.  Law suits abounded and the attorneys
made a lot of money.  There were also some differences in the ASTM A775 and
the AASHTO epoxy bar specs (AASHTO accounted for job-site damage and repair,
ASTM did not).  These issues were quickly addressed.

Bottom line: the ASTM & AASHTO tightened up coating and holiday testing, the
epoxy coaters started doing a better job in QC, the spec writers paid more
attention to holiday testing in the field, and bridges throughout the US
still use epoxy bar.

Regards,
Harold Sprague