RE: ASD or LRFD for Wood Design

IMHO, most residential construction performance seems to be limited by lack of design altogether, coupled with improper execution.  Recently, I was discussing with a contractor how to fix his 18' high 2x6 window wall to pass framing inspection.  "Is there room to add (3) plies there."  "Yah, there is some wiring but I can just notch the 2x6's half way through."  It's scary to think about optimizing design with the current status-quo.

Call me old and callused, but I can't see doing much better with residential wood construction without a). educating contractors 100 times better b). educating inspectors 100 times better and c).  spending 100 times more on engineering details.

I'm sure things are much better in the seismic areas, where people do get fairly frequent reality checks though.

Regards,
Ed Fasula EIT

BTW, here is some information on LRFD of wood, I have reviewed these publications, but they are pretty much a fudge to use the LRFD approach and get the exact same results as using ASD:

"The AF&PA/ASCE 16-95 Standard for Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD) for Engineered Wood Construction was approved in November 1995 as a consensus standard through the ASCE standards development process. It is currently approved by several model building codes." http://www.awc.org/lrfd.html