Re: ASD or LRFD for Wood Design

Dennis Wish wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: SEConsultant <seconsultant(--nospam--at)earthlink.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 11:02 PM
Subject: RE: ASD or LRFD for Wood Design
snip
> > LRFD can not be used (as far as I know) with conventional sawn lumber. I
can
> be used with manufactured lumber because of the improved tolerances
against
> defects. If the method creates sufficient savings in over conventional
sawn
> lumber then it seems justified. If now, I don't see the advantages of
> designing LRFD.
> > snip

LRFD can be used with sawn lumber. See the 1996 Load and Resistance Facor
Design, Manual for Engineered Wood Construction, available from the American
Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) American Wood Council.

Also, there is AF&PA/ASCE 16-95, Standard for Load and Resistance Factor
Design (LRFD) for Engineered Wood Construction.

Bruce Pooley
Timber Design
3448 South Newland Court
Lakewood, CO 80227