Autocad Layering Standards for Structura

Dennis,

No matter how you set up your layer standards, *someone* that you are doing a
job for will have something different.  The AIA has an humongous layering
system, but I'll bet that few architects comply 100 percent with that
system.  For government work, however, you had better follow their layer
system.

In order to account for individual preferences concerning layers, layer
names, colors, line types, etc., and to keep the prototype drawings free from
umpteen hundred unused layers, I have set up layer lists, with my layering
system in the list, MYLAYERS.LST.  Client layer lists would be: JSMITH.LST,
XYDOT.LST, COENGR.LST, etc.  I set my layers with a little LISP routine,
SL.LSP, and the first time I use it in a session, it asks what layer list I
want to use, defaulting to MYLAYERS.LST.  If I need a layer during a
session that isn't on the list, I can create that layer, add it to the
list, or just use it for that drawing.  Since I don't like to type long layer
names (and hate scrolling down a list looking for the right layer even more),
my layer names are usually less than 4 or 5 characters.  For layer names that
you used in your post, aliases could probably be set up.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Dennis Wish wrote:

>>I have started to work up a layer standard for my use. My intent is to use
the standard to help automate drafting tasks.
I never thought of a layer standard as an important issue - figuring each
office works up their own. However, when sharing drawings I find that the
number of layers that combine can be staggering.
I am interested in seeing what other have worked up as a structural
engineering standard. Mine follows this format:
Sx-Fndt-Slab-exp[exposed]
Sx-Fndt-Slab-hid[den]
Sx-Fndt-Slab-ann[otation]
Sx-Fndt-Slab-txt
Sx-Fndt-Slab-Dim
Sx-Fndt-Ftg-exp
Sx-Fndt-Ftg-hid
etc.
Where Sx is structural level 'X' (1,2,3,etc.)

I am interested in what others have done and any programing tips you have
that help you automate drawings. For example, I am thinking of creating a
button to draw a slab outline that will simplify the process of changing to
the correct layer without going through 50 or more layers each time. If
others have automated tasks like this I would appreciate sharing the
information so that we can all learn from it.
Thanks<<