RE: Autocad Layering Standards for Structural

Roger,
I think we are always on the quest for the simplest yet most productive
standard. With Autocad, the test is whether or not the full Layer list
(i.e., S-Fndt-Slab-Txt) can fit within the width of the pull down menu's.
It's a question of time to search.
While we are on the subject, does anyone know a way to change the width of
the pull-down layer menu in Autocad? There use to be a small shareware
program that allowed you to change the width of any Windows compatible pull
down menu or list - or would set it to the widest text in the list.
I know this can be done when creating a List button in Visual Basic, but I
don't know if you can access or change the menu's in Autocad.

It does not sound like you are using Autocad 2000. The Architectural Desktop
(ADT)is a very worthwhile package - containing remnants of the Softdesk S8
package. You can create Content Sheets - drawings that contain layer
definitions, text and dimension styles, blocks and essentially all objects
that occur in every job. You can even use other drawings.
If you use a drawing from your client, rather than load their layer
standards you can simply drag and drop their layers into your drawing along
with fonts, and other styles.

I have to admit that the Autocad 2000 ADT2 package caused me to relearn many
of my drafting skills. Model and Paperspace made little sense to me in the
past but I don't see how I ever did without it now.

So, back to the original topic. I am looking for easy to interpret layering
standards that I can apply and work into an automation tool (Layer Key's for
insertion of block objects).

Dennis