RE: Tek Screws

I specify three companies.  There is no generic spec that we know of.  We do
call to verify that the screws meet the requirements of SAE J-78.

-----Original Message-----
From: Zachary Goswick [mailto:ZachG(--nospam--at)angusyoung.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 2:25 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Tek Screws

Does anybody know if there is a standard that can be specified for self
drilling screws.  I am looking at diaphragm deck fasteners.  The
diaphragm deck manual published by the Steel Deck Institute specifically
calls out ITWBuildex-TEK screws.  This is a trade name.  I want to leave
the option open for other (possible more available) trade names, but I
can't find a standard that screws are all manufactured to.  If one is
not in existence, I don't want to be forced into using a specific trade
name, so I would probably call out a minimum shear strength and diameter
for the screws.  Does anybody have comments on the best way to call this
out?

Zach Goswick