Wood Truss Rafter Center Uplift

Mark has proposed a good solution. It is true that most fabricators are
familiar with this detail.

We publish a two page Partition Separation brochure that details the truss
to bearing connection that Richard mentioned. Email me directly and I will
send you the PDF.

Rachel Smith, EIT
Technical Services
Wood Truss Council of America
608/274-4849 x.27
rsmith(--nospam--at)woodtruss.com

Richard,

Try two separate mono trusses with bearing on interior corridor
walls. Extend the top chords to meet at the peak and use a 2x for
the ceiling joist over the corridor. This results in two separate
trusses. I believe most truss fabricators are familiar with this.

Mark McCormick, P. Eng.

========================
Mark McCormick, P. Eng.
ADI Limited
Fredericton, NB
Canada
========================

>I usually break the truss in two in this situation and cantilever top
>chords to meet at ridge. You already have walls and foundations on interior
>anyway. You will avoid truss uplift details and trusses will be cheaper.

>At 04:02 PM 2/1/00 GMT, you wrote:
>>I am designing two story motel type structure which has a interior center
>>corridor.  It will be constructed of wood framing.  The roof will have
metal
>>press plate truss rafters at 2'-0" o.c.  The bearing walls for the floor
>>framing are the exterior longitudinal walls and the interior corridor
wall.
>>I am trying to decide whether to clear span the roof rafters to the
exterior
>>walls (50 ft. span) or use the interior corridor bearing walls.  My
concern
>>is "Roof Truss Uplift" at the corridor due to fluctuations in the moisture
>>content.  My options would be to clear span the building and detail the
>>corridor/truss connection to allow the uplift to occur without picking up
the
>>partition, or to break the truss into two pieces and simple span to the
>>corridor.
>>
>>What are your suggestions?
>>
>>Perhaps someone from WTCA can give some advise also?
>>
>>Rich

>>Richard Lewis, P.E.
>>Missionary TECH Team
>>rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org
>>
>>The service mission like-minded Christian organizations
>>may turn to for technical assistance and know-how.

David Handy, P.Eng.
dhandy(--nospam--at)trg.ca
The Thompson Rosemount Group, Cornwall, Ont. Canada
Opinions expressed are personal only.