From: Alexander Gutierrez [mailto:alexgutz(--nospam--at)pworld.net.ph]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 8:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Tapered Steel Member

I would like to ask from the group if you can provide me a sample
computation on the design of web-tapered members such as beam and column
(ASD code if possible). I would also like to ask how can I solve the
value of "It" in the graph for solving "K" (see pp. 5-193 to 5-200 on
ther 9th Ed. of ASD). How will it differentiate if the peak was assumed
pinned connected against continuous?

Comparing "bt" in Fig. C-A-F7.1 which is the length of rafter, what is
the value "bt" in Figs C-A-F7.2 to C-A-F7.17. Is "bt" the horizontal
distance between the two columns or is it twice the length of one
rafter?