Welded Crane Beam

I haven't seen a specific treatment of this issue, but I have noticed that welded crane beam connections are always isolated by bolts.  Is this completely an issue of fatigue, one that can be addressed by designing welds for the appropriate stress level - or am I missing something?  I have always followed this practice, but in this case the contractor really wants to use all welded connections, and the total crane load is just over 2 tons with impact.

Regards,

Ed Fasula EIT