Re: Basement wall foundation

At 02:39 PM 02/02/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>We are evaluating an existing basement garage structure with concrete
decking built 11 years ago. The basement wall footing is 12" deep and 30"
wide. The walls are 9'-4" high 12" thick masonry block walls. All the
perimeter walls are also served as retaining walls. The original structural
details show only one continuous #5 rebar in the wall footings. Both the
owner and us are not comfortable with it.

>Can someone give us any retrofitting suggestion? It is a huge garage. The
perimeter wall length is around 5000 feet.

What sort of unacceptable performance has occurred in the 11 years in this
footing? The purpose of the rebar is to prevent unwanted things from
happening. Perhaps nothing is acting on this footing that the single bar and
other helpful features of construction are unable to accommodate.

Charles O. Greenlaw  SE   Sacramento CA