From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 4:53 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Masonry infill walls

A question about masonry infill walls...

Can any one recommend a fairly simple method for determining the effects of
masonry infill walls on the lateral systems when evaluating an existing
building for seismic loadings?

The masonry walls that I am looking at are either CMU walls that are not
for a full bay but are up tight to the underside of the structure above OR
terra cotta walls that are for a full bay and are up tight to the structure
above.  In both cases, the buildings' lateral system would appear to be
moment frames.

Any thoughts or suggested references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott