Re: ASD vs LRFD...my simple test

LRFD would typically yield lighter beam sizes only when the dead loads are
very large.  This is due to the load factors (1.2 DL & 1.6 LL);  the higher
the dead loads are the more beneficial the design becomes because of the
lower load factor.  I think that you will see the same or similar beam sizes
on the second floor since the live load is even higher than the roof.

LRFD was incorrectly promoted as yielding a less expensive design.  I
believe that most typical situations will result in similar designs using
ASD or LRFD.  LRFD is simply a different design approach.

By the way, I learned LRFD in college and ASD on the job.  Over the past
eight years I have only used LRFD on one project, simply because the owner
required it.  I prefer using ASD and so do all of the engineers that I have
been associated with (at least those in private practice).