RE: ASD vs LRFD...my simple test

 Charlie,

You're right.  I was trying to cut tons out of the building.  However, I
don't see that as a mistake.  I appreciate the AISC recommendations on
how to save steel construction dollars via correct use of detailing, and
all those other tips.  Those are good tips!  I read through them
yesterday with the link you provided.  However, if I start out with a
lighter building and then apply the tips, I can't help but be more
economical.  I'm not looking to go so light that I'm adding stiffeners
or doubler plates or anything like that.  We're talking good sized
members for a heavy industrial building.

I guess I was expecting something dramatic with LRFD since it is a big
topic of discussion.  It just wasn't a big deal (and I still had to
calculate the service loads to get my deflections).  I'm sticking with
ASD until I am forced to switch or I can see a savings for me or my
customers.

Michael Ritter, PE