RE: Welded Crane Beam

Title: RE: Welded Crane Beam

>I have noticed that welded crane beam connections are always isolated by bolts.
>Is this completely an issue of fatigue [or can] welds [be designed] for
>the appropriate stress level...

Yes, it is a fatigue issue. Dave Ricker wrote a great paper on crane girders in the AISC Engineering Journal called "Tips for Avoiding Crane Runway Problems". It was in the 4th quarter 1982 issue. He addressed this issue and many others.

Charlie

P.S. If you don't have that paper, issue or the AISC Engineering Journal in your library, you can get that paper, that issue, subscribe, etc. by calling Emma Cooley (312/670-5444) here at AISC.