Re: Tapered Steel Member

Date sent:      	Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:02:00 -0500
From:           	Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
Subject:        	Tapered Steel Member
To:             	seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org, Alexander Gutierrez <alexgutz(--nospam--at)pworld.net.ph>

> Alex,
>
> AISC published in 1956 a booklet, "Welded Tapered Girders," (19 pages) that goes
> thru the design (ASD, of course and hand calcs) of welded tapered girders,
> including consideration of web penetrations.  Also, Blodgett's, "Design of
> Welded Structures," has a section on designing tapered girders.
>
> AISC apparently does not publish their booklet any more as Charlie Carter
> didn't mention it, but Lincoln Electric (James F. Lincoln Arc Welding
> Foundation) sure does publish Blodgett's book.
>
> If you can locate some "old, decrepit" engineer that has been around since 1960,
> he/she might have the AISC booklet.  Any good technical library or any school
> teaching welding technology should have the Blodgett book.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
> Tucson, Arizona

I knew that I was old but did not know that I was decrepit. :-)
I have a copy of 4 booklets on tapered beams.  They are WRC Bulletin 173, dated June 1972, WRC Buletin 192, a December 1976 Reprint of  the February 1974 bulletin, WRC bulletin 248, dated May 1979 and Welded Tapered Girders, a 1956 AISC publication.  In 1981, A. D. Mawdsley, one of Ed Wilson's
students, wrote a FORTRAN program called WEBTAP to design tapered steel beams.  At one time the code and a manual was available from UCB.  I still have a copy of the manual, but do not know about the code.> Alexander Gutierrez wrote: