RE: ASD vs LRFD...my simple test

I'm not sure that LRFD is being pushed hard.  I think it's a matter of
practicality to AISC.  They don't have budget to maintain both ASD and LRFD
manuals, specs, etc.  Since most of the rest of the world is using LRFD, it
makes sense for AISC to support LRFD.  This allows international research to be
shared, the best example being the new HSS Manual, based a lot  on French and
Canadian research and methods.

I've taught both ASD and LRFD undergraduate steel design at California
Universities.  Except for composite construction, the resulting member sizes are
usually very similar.  I don't believe either method is universally superior to
the other, although there are several topics only addressed in LRFD
specifications, primarily because of recent research.

Remember, your trusted ASD Manual is 11 years old.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo

Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com> on 02/03/2000 08:17:38 AM