Re: Basement wall foundation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Greenlaw" <cgreenlaw(--nospam--at)speedlink.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 9:41 PM
Subject: Re: Basement wall foundation

> At 02:39 PM 02/02/2000 -0800, you wrote:
> >We are evaluating an existing basement garage structure with concrete
> decking built 11 years ago. The basement wall footing is 12" deep and 30"
> wide. The walls are 9'-4" high 12" thick masonry block walls. All the
> perimeter walls are also served as retaining walls. The original
structural
> details show only one continuous #5 rebar in the wall footings. Both the
> owner and us are not comfortable with it.
> >
> >Can someone give us any retrofitting suggestion? It is a huge garage. The
> perimeter wall length is around 5000 feet.
>
> ------------
> What sort of unacceptable performance has occurred in the 11 years in this
> footing? The purpose of the rebar is to prevent unwanted things from
> happening. Perhaps nothing is acting on this footing that the single bar
and
> other helpful features of construction are unable to accommodate.
>
> Charles O. Greenlaw  SE   Sacramento CA

This structure was originally designed to support three-story apartments on
top of the deck. However, due to the econmic condition at that time, the
ex-developer stopped the construction at the concrete deck. The building
department wants to see report comparing the as-built garage to the current
code requirements although it will not require full compliance with the
current code.

Someone suggests that we also look into the current ACI 318-99 section 21.8.
We are also trying to find out what kind of technical/legal problems we will
run into if there will be a lawsuit down the road.

Regards,

Julian Chu
Newprt Beach, CA