RE: Basement wall foundation

Julian,

An additional question is what is the intent of the current structure?  Do
they plan to build the apartments on top as originally designed?

The past 11 years has been a time of significant changes.  Accepting that
the garage was constructed in 1989, the UBC in force when it went to permit
could have been either the 85 UBC or the 88 UBC.

I recall a design in Los Angeles that I worked on in 1989.  I had to update
a design done under the 85 UBC to the 89 UBC, and the changes were fairly
significant.  The changes from then till now are very significant,
especially if you compare the ACI 318-83 versus the ACI 318-99.

Even assuming the design was done properly per the 85 UBC and/or ACI 318-83,
the question of how it was constructed can only be answered by a very
concerted inspection effort (NDT and limited destructive testing).  You can
bring any existing structure into current code compliance, but not
necessarily economically.

The city's stance that they want a: "...report comparing the as-built garage
to the current code requirements although it will not require full
compliance with the current code." puts you right in the cross hairs.  At
first glance, it appears that the City is taking a degree of responsibility,
but they are not the "Professional".  Your report should clearly state all
code deficiencies and what the particular deficiency and the sum total of
all deficiencies mean regarding the intended performance.  That is not an
easy task.

Regards,
Harold Sprague