Re: On-Line Collaboration - www.Buzzsaw.com

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] There was just a story this evening on National Public Radio (NPR) about this very thing, centered in the San Francisco Bay area.  A CEO of bid.com was interviewed.  I know someone engaged in this enterprise in San Francisco, and my understanding is that there is quite a bit of "software engineering" required to make it all happen.  It allows everyone on truly large construction projects to literally be on the same page, and it also records when "others" accessed the information.  So no one can claim later "you never told me about this change."  It'll be interesting to see if anyone logs on: "but that's the way we've always done it!"

I think it's pretty exciting.  Now, if we could just get Seismology Committee to emulate it in "real time".

James Bela

Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM        /      The Quake NorthwestTM

"We Have Nothing to Fear But Shear Itself"        /        "We're All Subducting In This Together"

             "Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness."  -- James Thurber

SEConsultant wrote:

I found this interesting website - www.buzzsaw.com which is a project
collaboration site supported by AutoDesk but a privately owned business. The
purpose is to provide an online intranet so that members of a project team
can work off the same drawings which remain available online.
I am not very clear on this, but the concept is great. My main question is
why a company large enough to have Internet capabilities use a service such
as this rather than set up their own company website with private access.
I would like to hear from others who are working with clients over the
Internet in order to learn how they coordinate and participate in the work.
Mostly, I'm interested in understanding how work is constantly updated and
how each participant is notified of changes that are made which may affect
the work of others.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
Structural Engineering Consultant