RE: Welding Tubes

Rich,

The most effective solution is the increased fillet weld size.  Column base
plate to tube steel welds are frequently greater than the wall thickness
because of the relative allowables.  It is not unusual.  The limitation on
filet weld size in the ASD Sect. J2 is predicated on the ability to inspect
a fillet weld at the edge of a plate (it provides an edge for the fillet
gauge) and does not apply to your case.

It is best to use the E70 rods.  They are the most familiar to welders.

Full pen welds can be used by tacking on backer rods, but the preparation
results in a more expensive weld than simply going to a larger fillet weld.

Regards,
Harold Sprague