RE: Design of RCC Dual Systems

The specific section in the 97 UBC is 1629.6.5 (pg. 2-12)

In regard to your modeling: your description of the model seems a bit
unusual. I don't know which program you are using, but most programs have
shear wall elements. So I am not sure why you have chosen beam-column
elements.

In regard to verifying the 25% rule. I would do a two-phase analysis/design:
1- First do the regular analysis with your design base shear and design the
shear wall.
2- From the output of your analysis determine what percentage of the base
shear is resisted by the frames. If less than 25%, artificially increase the
base shear to bring their portion to 25% and then proceed with the frame
design.

Hope it helps
Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA