Seismic Zone for Stockton California?

I guess I should know this one, but I don't get up North too often. My son
is moving from Chicago to Stockton California and this is his first move
into seismic country (other than his summer visits to me in Southern
California.
I was under the impression that Stockton, Lodi, Livermore and those area's
were in Zone 4 but he read that it was located in Zone 3.
Even though there is still some sufficient shaking going on, I'm curious as
where the change from Zone 3 and 4 converge. I would assume it to be the
foothills of the Sierra's more so than so close to San Jose area.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
Structural Engineering Consultant
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax