Re: APA Sheathing w/ Screws and Slate

Well, Ed - let me take a shot at some answers.

1. Certainly the roofing manufacturer may have his own specs for min. thickness of roof decks. Could be based on attachments for wind uplift. If Factory Mutual Research Corp. (FMRC) is involved (this organization traditionally used by roofing manufacturers), their specs for wood roof decks call for min. 3/4 in. sheathing thickness. But less thickness would be acceptable, in
my opinion. After Hurricane Andrew, where roofing tiles often blew off roof decks due to inadequate attachment (mortar bed "adhesive"), mechanical attachment of tile became more common. Tile attachments in wind uplift tests often call for min. 19/32 in. plywood sheathing. But it all goes back to the roofing manufacturer's warranty and installation recommendations; if
anything less is used, the builder/homeowner risks having the warranty voided. The roof sheathing attachment for wind uplift depends on the wind uplift pressure, and roof deck area where highest pressures occur. The min. attachment schedule is 6 in. o.c. at panel edges, and 12 in. o.c. on intermediate supports, regardless of the type of fastener used; more fasteners might
be required for high wind zones. APA has technical info on roof sheathing attachment for high wind zones.

2.  If common wood screws are used for sheathing attachment, the NDS calls for predrilling of lead holes. Do you think any contractor would do that? The best system if screws are to be used, is for self-drilling screws like deck screws. There are several that have ICBO ES approval, even for diaphragm applications.

John Rose/APA, Tacoma, WA