RE: Steel Channel Grip

John,

Grip:
The grip is primarily used by steel detailers to determine bolt length.  It
is not clearly shown in the AISC manual, but the grip is the flange
thickness at the center of the bolt hole at the specified gage.  The flange
on a channel is tapered and the grip is in between the maximum and the
minimum flange thickness.  It is fairly close to the average flange
thickness, but not quite the same.

Gage:
The gage is the distance along the flange from the outside face of the web
to the center of a bolt in the flange.

If you are doing the detailing, or if the dimension is critical to your
design, you should show the gage.  And if you are calling out the bolt
length, you need to know the grip, but you don't need to show it on your
drawings.  If you are listing the bolt length, you also need to account for
a beveled washer which is required on the inside flange of a channel.

Regards,
Harold Sprague