RE: Glass Storefront as Shearwalls

Jack:

This is the first time any window system supplier has given in depth answer to the drift question that I had asked many in past. Most had no idea what I was even talking about. Thank you for taking time to give your detailed opinion.

You may be already familiar with the following requirement of CBC 98 (This has been in Title 24 since 1985)

Section 1630A.2.2.2:

"….The lateral displacement in the plane of wall from the head to sill of glazed openings shall not exceed 0.0025 times the height of the opening when based on the above loading unless the glass therein is prevented from taking shear or distortion, or is tempered, safety or wire glass….."

Satish