Re: Rod bracing

Ron Martin wrote:

>>The rod bracing I have seen is generally installed "taut".  I know there is
not a definition of taut, but here is mine.  Taut is between being easy to
move sideways/floppy and tight as a guitar string...(similar to a banjo
string for us hillbillies) .

To my knowledge, there is no equipment used to measure the tightness of the
rods, it is installed based on an individuals judgement.

Some erectors use the bracing to square-up/plumb the framing system.  When
this occurs, you have one rod REALLY tight and the other somewhat floppy.
Using the rod to square up puts load into the rod besides the intended
bracing load.  For this reason, it is generally prudent to oversize rods at
least one size up and bump up your reactions slightly to account for this.

IF the rods are snug-tite/taut you will probably not have any problems.  A
very slight movement will finish tightening the rods when it occurs and begin
to prevent excessive movement prior to the rod "taking axial load".

Just my thoughts...<<

What happens to the "tautness" when the temperature goes up?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona