From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 10:02 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Project Websites

Yesterday afternoon, I attended an annual corporate planning retreat.  I left the meeting with an assignment to establish and maintain Halff Associates' first project-specific, restricted-access website.  This website will be for a large (800 ft. clear span) twin-arch bridge project in Dallas.  The website is expected to be accessed frequently for information exchange and coordination by at least four government agencies, a design team comprised of six firms in Dallas and Zurich, a general contractor, and several subcontractors.  Part of the website might also be accessible to the general public for their information, but that is clearly a secondary goal.

I have no experience with project websites, and admit that I have ignored and deleted all of the recent posts under the buzzsaw.com thread.  What advice do any of you have to offer?  What are the most important features of a project website?  Can email distribution be integrated into it?  What about visitor tracking, download logging, and other security features?  What mistakes have been made on previous project websites?  Where can I find resources to produce the site, and to host it?

Thank you in advance for your useful input!

Best Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., F.ASCE, F.AEI
Vice President
HALFF ASSOCIATES, INC.
Engineers+Architects+Planners
8616 Northwest Plaza Drive
Dallas, Texas    75225
Phone:  (214)346-6280
Mobile:  (214)236-9696
Fax:      (214)739-0095
Email:    mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com
Website:  http://www.halff.com
People that exercise regularly
will die healthier!