RE: CONFLICT OF INTEREST

Wladimir,

I am frequently involved in both design-build and in design only.  I have
seen poor quality structural inspection by inspectors and by designers.  As
far as the conflict of interest goes, I guess I really haven't seen it, and
I don't see it as a problem.  What I have seen is unqualified people
performing special inspections.  That is why I like the concept of
certification programs such as the ICBO.   I also like the concept of a
Special Inspector of Record who is a licensed PE, directs all of the special
inspectors, and acts as a liaison between the designer and the special
inspectors in the field.  Take a look at the special inspection manual of
Kansas City, MO. http://www.kcmo.org/codes/

Regards,
Harold Sprague