RE: CONFLICT OF INTEREST

In general, I think that field inspection by the engineer who performed the
design is the "preferred method" rather than a conflict of interest.  If the
intent is to confirm that the construction conforms to the engineer's design
intent, who better than the designer to confirm that? However, the inspector
should also have the proper knowledge and training to do inspections.  It's
not hard checking rebar spacing and concrete cover but weld inspection
requires more training. Thus for practical purposes, the inspector often
should be a trained inspector, but who could be employed by the firm which
did the design.