Lateral Force from Pedestrian Movement

Ron,

Watching people climb extension ladders illustrates the amount of sidesway
that can occur accidently.  When I design stairs, I include 10 percent of the
gravity live load as a horizontal sidesway load.

A balcony in a college area:  Double the code specified live load, and add
the weight of all the full kegs of beer that are consumed in one week plus
the weight of all the bottles of whiskey that are consumed, then find the
weight of the heaviest statue in town particularly one that is anchored down
so it can't be stolen, compare it to the weight of the rival school's symbol,
use the heavier weight and assume that it will be permanently on the balcony.
<G>

Other than this, use good judgement.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Ron Martin wrote:

>>Does anyone have a good method of estimating the lateral force from the
movement of pedestrians if they were somewhat walking or swaying in the same
direction?

I have a client with a free-standing balcony.   They have already built it
and now need some help.  We are assuming this large balcony could get people
dancing or swaying at some time in the future.   We are not in a high seismic
zone, so I was not sure what kind of loading we are looking at.  The only
equation we have now is "college town + college kids+alcohol+ thinking you
can sing/dance=problems".  Currently it is a food establishment, but I can
easily see it becoming a bar in the future.<<