Re: Low Temperatures and structural steel

>I have been able to locate information on elevated steel temperatures but
>I have had little success in finding literature or guidance on steel in
>this low temperature range.
The problem at low temperatures is brittle fracture, typically as the
result of a weld defect or cyclic stress at a stress concentration. You
need to use steel that will provide notch toughness at low temperatures.
Literature about the subject is everywhere. The AISC web site is a great
place to start.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw