From: Jenkins Engineering, Inc. [mailto:jei(--nospam--at)netbci.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2000 7:57 AM
To: seaint
Subject: Freezer Building Insulated Panels and Diaphragm Action

I am currently evaluation a construction method of a new client that produces insulated freezer and cooler panels.  I am concerned about the connections of the panels to the superstructure.

Currently, they are using 1/2" diameter nylon bolts at 23" OC, (2 per panels per support).  I have not been able to locate any technical information on nylon bolts - any suggestions?

Further, I am very suspicious of the "diaphragm" action with so few connections.  I am grounded in steel deck diaphragms where 12"OC is a maximum connector spacing.  Are there any guidelines for the use of insulated sandwich panels as diaphragms?  regarding connections?

In the absence of previously developed data, I'll advise of testing of the system plus the individual components.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bobby Jenkins, P.E.
Jenkins Engineering, Inc.
PO Box 2101